January 16, 2018, 02:47:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Find us on Facebook and Twitter!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Did you enjoy the Rally?
Yes, It was great
Yes, It was OK
No, It sucked BIG...
Not really.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 2008 Rally Poll  (Read 36791 times)
angel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 01:58:49 PM »

We fought the whole food line battle with our show for a couple years but if you have a good food vendor...which it seems you do, the food vendor will resolve the issue for you as Mark already noted.
I loved the Lemon and the lemonade...please don't get rid of that!!!  Grin I think I probably paid half her tuition yesterday...ha ha She definitely could've used another person in there though to speed the process a little bit. I want one of those lemons for my yard. lol

Raffles have always been one of our big issues too. We did the idea suggested above with the post-it and recording the numbers and it worked really well. We still had unclaimed at the end of the day that we had to recall but it was greatly reduced from the number we usually have.

I didn't want to say anything but I kind of agree on the DJ. Could've played a better mix and left off the lovey dovey stuff. I thought there could have been a little more announcing to get people excited and stuff. We've been using Scott Hatch for the past couple years and the crowd loves him because he gets them going. Perhaps consider some announcing for the rock crawl and RTI ramp to give spectators who aren't familiar with it an idea of what is going on. I know it isn't a competition or anything like ours.

Angel
Pat C
Organizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 02:34:01 PM »

I agree with the majority- the raffle process needs some streamlining.  Also something we overlooked this year that will help for next year is to post the ticket prices/colors as I am sure that Dave, Liz, Ken and Katie at the raffle booth went crazy constantly being asked ticket infor. (FYI - they did not complain, I thought of it on the drive home after the Rally).

As for the food vendor: Classic Cuisine has been covering the Rally since the first one in 2001 at Hebert's. They know what to expect and try to plan accordingly.  Al and Wendy actually enjoy doing the Jeep Rally and as they've  seen it grow, they have adjusted accordingly and it looks like they plan to adjust again for next year.  One thing that will help to put food lines in perspective is that when 1500 + folks decide to eat between noon and 1:30pm, there are going to be lines, even if there are more food trailers.  They are aware that there is concern about the lines and Al mentioned that they try their best to keep things moving.  It's nice to see that the lemonade was a hit; I saw alot of folks walking around with them.

As for shade, I agree that it would have been nice, unfortunately most fairgrounds are set up as open spaces.  The suggestion of tents and water coolers is good; my thought is that tent and water cooler rental would add to the expense of the event and, for the most part, we try to keep expenses to a minimum.  Expect for the raffles, most of the time folks are moving around.

I like the possibility of a flea market/swap meet.  I believe that this may have been discussed in the past.  I am trying to recall if there was concern because of the vendors - I am not sure, but it is defintely worth looking into. It would be really awesome if a club offered to manage this and I am sure it would be popular as I noticed that some of the club booths had used parts to sell.

I also like the idea of  "crowd favorites"  participation and that would be another area where a club or group could offer to handle the specifics and day-of-event necessities.

The next comments are my thoughts on the Rally as one of the volunteers. They are not meant as anything other than my .02 and to help with the view from the other side.  Smiley

When planning for the Rally, there was a core committee of approx 7-9 and when the ideas started kicking around, one of the first things that came to mind was having the volunteers/staff to make it happen.  That is the biggest challenge of pulling off an event like the Rally: having the necessary people to man the gate, park Jeeps, run the raffle area, the rock garden, the RTI ramps and to be able to do so in shifts so that any given volunteer does not spend all day in a given area but that he/she also gets some time to enjoy the event.  Unfortunately we are usually short-handed and quite a few volunteers do end up spending the day in their respective areas.
Sometimes a good idea arises, but then you start to think of the man-power needed to make it happen and it gets shelved.

This year the Rally had a new committee, most of which were first-timers for Rally planning.  With the  2007 GARJ being cancelled, the main goal of the 2008 committee was to see that the event took place and that it at least equaled past Rallys. Repeat attendees found a more challenging rock garden, an expanded Remote Control area  and an attempt to be more kid friendly with a jumpy house and kid orientated raffles.

As for the number of Jeeps through the Main Gate, we stopped counting at about 1:50pm, at 610!!   Our best Rally ever !!

In closing, I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions.  Each one will be noted and added to the list for future consideration.

Oh, I almost forgot .... the music.  The choices of music that Scott played were requested by the committee  - classic rock, blue/jazz and country.   However, I would venture to say that can be remixed for next year.
kat
Organizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 04:38:09 PM »

This was the best GAJR ever!!!!!  The parking was well organized. Try and get a few more iems for the entry bags. The raffle tickets made this years well worth the money but people love free stuff. Maybe spread the venders / club tents out a bit more.  Not alot of activity going on near the entrace. 
Stick a ticket on each raffle  box and it would be easy to tell which ticket goes where. The raffle prizes were great but the number calling could use improvement. Pull & Post all the numbers up by 2:30. Any prize not claimed by 3:30 gets raffled of to the volunteers Grin   The 50/50 raffle was a flop.  Sad  Next year maybe have a few people walking around all day with see thru containers selling 50/50 tickets. Maybe we could also offer a 25/75 raffle with red tickets two for 1.00.  More kid prizes.
The music  Lips sealed He did play requests.  There was a mildly strange man walking around singing the old Katrinka song.  Kinda scary  Wink We will need to control him next year.
There has to be a better way to hand out shirts. I felt really bad wearing one when there were other volunteers without one that were working much harder then I. I would more then gladly pay for one next year. Maybe next year we can make them so fugly we have to make people wear them instead of walking off with them.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes There should also be a few xxxl shirts. There were a few bigger men that couldn't fit in the ones offered.
Shade would be nice but how do you get a shaded area big enough for all those people. 
In our towm the local supermarket likes to donate food items to our local events. Maybe next year we could offer hot dogs and hamburgers ( cooked by volunteers ......that guy massxj flips a mean burger)for a low price and make a little more money  Roll Eyes Ya ya I know that won't work  Roll Eyes 

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:53:58 PM by kat » Logged
LJScott
Volunteer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 10:06:43 PM »

I was the DJ and I have two comments:

One, I absolutely agree the raffles were way too long. I like the idea of posting during the day. At the end of the day we could do a live raffle for the big 3 to 5 items and give out the awards.

With respect to the music, what I heard in advance was Classic Rock, R&B and Country and that is what I played. A couple of girls who were there when I set-up the night before asked for more of the Classic Rock and R&B we played during set-up, no one else made a request although all day long people were walking by yelling “great song” and giving me high signs. I have 19,751 songs on my computer and would have been happy to play any reasonable request; I have even been known to download songs from the Internet while I am playing to meet someone’s request. What is it you were looking for?

Scott Jones
byker1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 07:13:37 AM »

Smiley Let me start by saying that the rally was awesome!  I was great to see Soooo many Jeeps in one place.  We drove our '85 CJ-7 down from North Reading, MA - over 100 miles.

Smiley OK now for improvements - When filling out the card, we couldn't figure out what class we were, if it was listed in the program, we didn't find it.  Maybe you could paper clip the classes to the card.  Stapling the tickets to the program worked excellent.  BTW - we are a daily driver

Sad The ticket process was a little chaotic.  I think that it is wonderful that you got so many donations but it seemed unfair to the donors that all of the ticket boxes were crowded together.  We couldn't tell who donated what.  Also, maybe you could sell tickets at a table away from the boxes.  I know that requires more space but I think things need to be more spread out.  The premier items really needed to be in a separate area away from the "blue ticket" items.  I saw a lot of confusion going on at the green/white building.

Shocked The end of the day raffle is just way too long.  Maybe you could start pulling the "blue tickets" at 1:30 then write the winning numbers on a sheet at 2:00, have the announcer run through the list of winners and post on the board like the earlier pulls.  If by 2:30, things are not claimed, pull new numbers, and repeat the process.  I think pulling the numbers while everyone watches just takes too much time.  It was a real downer sitting and waiting while numbers were pulled after having a great time all day.

Huh Also, I think you missed an opportunity to sell more 50/50 tickets.  I think if you had people selling 50/50 tickets in the crowd at the end you would have sold a lot more.  Also, the announcer needed to push the 50/50.  He could have given periodic updates to the total.  Additionally,   posting a running total at the ticket booth may have generated more sales.  I have seen the 50/50 have more than $400 with less people.  Once you hit the $100 mark, people start to get interested.  The thought of going home with more than $50 really gets attention.  If you can get over $200 in the pot, the money really starts flowing.

Grin OK that's all my thoughts.  I have organized these types events and I know they are a huge amount of work.  Kudos to everyone involved.  It was a phenomenal success and these are only minor details.

Wink Great job!!  It was really a great event.

'85 CJ-7 Stock Height, 31" Michelin ATX, Fiberglass Body w/ Stainless Steel Hardware, 1978 258 6 cyl w/ Autolite 2100 Carburetor.  Dana 300 Xfer case with T-177 4 speed Transmission, solid rear axles.
schwalby
Chairmen
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 08:04:09 AM »

Just wanted to say once again thank you for all the comments. So far everyone of these sugggestions are great and we are already starting to look into improvments based on them. Thanks again and please keep them coming.

Bay State Jeepers - 03 TJ
jeepjunkie69
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 11:21:05 AM »

Whats the requirements to be a volunteer..??     How many days do you take to set up., not including the day of the rally.? 
MasterDrazhar

No matter where you go, There you are.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »

Whats the requirements to be a volunteer..??     How many days do you take to set up., not including the day of the rally.? 

Willingness to work all day.

The day before and tear down the day of after the rally.
schwalby
Chairmen
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »

If you are unable to attend the day before that will be ok to. We need the most volunteers the day of.

richlost
Organizer

Bring it.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 04:25:14 PM »

I was the DJ and I have two comments:

One, I absolutely agree the raffles were way too long. I like the idea of posting during the day. At the end of the day we could do a live raffle for the big 3 to 5 items and give out the awards.

With respect to the music, what I heard in advance was Classic Rock, R&B and Country and that is what I played. A couple of girls who were there when I set-up the night before asked for more of the Classic Rock and R&B we played during set-up, no one else made a request although all day long people were walking by yelling “great song” and giving me high signs. I have 19,751 songs on my computer and would have been happy to play any reasonable request; I have even been known to download songs from the Internet while I am playing to meet someone’s request. What is it you were looking for?

Scott Jones

Do you have any of this....  Frampton like you never heard it before.
http://www.fusionthink.com/Peter_Frampton_and_ATOM-Do_You_Feel_Like_Acid.mp3

or this..... classic Police together with The Kalxons
http://www.musicremixed.org/dunproofin/Dunproofin-PoliceKlaxons.mp3

or this (one of my personal favorites) Led Zeppelin and Buffalo Springfield.... mindblower
http://www.musicremixed.org/lenlow/Lenlow%20-%20It's%20Time%20We%20Ramble%20On.mp3

I got a couple hundred of these mashups and remixes, check those out and let me know if you like them. I personally guarantee that those files are dowloadable and virus free.

JeepMM2
Volunteer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 04:52:43 PM »

On a scale of 0-10, I give the Rally an 8.5. Everything went great and seeing all those Jeeps was a mind-blower! I only wish my knee had felt better so that I could have gotten around more, taken more photos.

The Raffle could have been better. I can't complain too much since I won something while many more didn't.

I'll definitely return next year. Good job to those who put this together!
Scott Daigle
GAJR Treasurer
Organizer
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »

Great Ideas coming in so far! Most have been very positive! Rest assured we are listening and discussing lots of these in the "Organizer's" areas!

I particularly like Byker1's format of suggestions. NICE!  Grin

Basic Supervision: Plan, Organize, Direct and Control!
LJScott
Volunteer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 09:21:36 PM »

Rich

I'm not sure the Rally was the right venue for Mashups, having said that I could see playing the third one. If I end up doing the Rally next year feel free to chime in with some suggestions before hand.

Scott
schwalby
Chairmen
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 09:23:20 PM »

When I DJ the Rally next year feel free to chime in with some suggestions before hand.

Scott

Fixed it for you
Cheesy

bryn
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 09:27:17 PM »

I think the music was extremely well done for that type of event. It's very difficult to please everyone. I suppose the only other option would be to have a requests list prominently displayed on the stage next to the DJ table. Other than that, music is a real tough one to keep from displeasing some people while trying to please others.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: