April 20, 2018, 07:52:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Find us on Facebook and Twitter!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: truck pulls  (Read 12285 times)
MasterDrazhar

No matter where you go, There you are.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »

Does the fair run horse/tractor pulls?  If so where is it done?

Would this be something we could, or would want to, add?
Zaedock
Organizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:53:11 AM »

Do you mean, rig vs. rig or rig pulling a sled?

Either way, I think that would add too much carnage and liability.  Example: a kid with front 260x ujoints, 35's, and dumping his clutch trying to pull a sled.  Or ripped off bumpers.

A commendable idea, but more hassle than it's worth, IMHO.

'92 YJ 2.5L/SM420/NP231HD
7" lift, 38" Mickey Thompson Claws, Full Cage, Front Stinger, 8000 lb winch
billyjp2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 12:00:28 PM »

Example: a kid with front 260x ujoints, 35's, and dumping his clutch trying to pull a sled.  Or ripped off bumpers.

I would PAY to see that!!!
bryn
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:06:16 PM »

There are already a lot of ideas put forth that many people would pay to see. However, for whatever reason, the decision was made to make the rally "family friendly", and to keep the violence down.

Although.... the rally could have just the right vendors selling replacement parts next to the jeep pull. And charge a premium to those vendors for that location.
MasterDrazhar

No matter where you go, There you are.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 12:26:50 PM »

Wouldn't be any different or any more or less a liability issue than the rock garden is now....  guys break stuff there too...  That's why they sign the waiver.

I do like the rig -vs- rig idea though...   you stay in until someone out tugs you type of elimination bracket.   Grin

90XJay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 01:36:53 PM »

They had a jeep tug o war at the Sutton rod and gun clubs "jeep jam" they had a few years ago.  they had a pile of sand (large enough for 2 jeeps) and a tow strap with a mark on it. all ya had to do was pull the mark to ur line.

90 xj
33's n stuff
Blown7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 03:22:23 PM »

Pulling a sled would work pretty well, first pulled in one direction by one vehicle then back with another, then add weight.
vikinghd
Chairmen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »

This won't work at the rally. We would need the fairs boat and another loader to stay in the pulling area as well as a loader at the rock garden. All great ideas but bear in mind space and equipment. It would be great to add some of these events but not the second year of the rally. When the events hinge on others providing the things we need them to make the event work thats a problem in itself. It took some pretty intense last minute running when it was found out the supply of rocks stored at the fairgrounds were not enough to do the trick. It took some serious running and negotiations to come up with not only 2 loaders to move the pile around but to find a couple of triaxles willing to load rocks and bring them.

I think the major improvement for next year will be a bigger and better rock pile (actually 2) I have found a good source for big rocks and I have a place to store them. Unless the fair gives me a permanent location for the rock crawling I will again find the need for transport of the rocks.

I would like to see at least another year or twp under out belts before we start adding more events that hinge on having large equipment there. I forsee that if this grows the fair will also prosper more from it and hence they may be willing to provide more to us.

Great stuff but I do not think we can come up with the support necessary for those types of events yet.
Blown7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 05:16:31 AM »

This won't work at the rally. We would need the fairs boat and another loader to stay in the pulling area as well as a loader at the rock garden. All great ideas but bear in mind space and equipment. It would be great to add some of these events but not the second year of the rally. When the events hinge on others providing the things we need them to make the event work thats a problem in itself. It took some pretty intense last minute running when it was found out the supply of rocks stored at the fairgrounds were not enough to do the trick. It took some serious running and negotiations to come up with not only 2 loaders to move the pile around but to find a couple of triaxles willing to load rocks and bring them.

I think the major improvement for next year will be a bigger and better rock pile (actually 2) I have found a good source for big rocks and I have a place to store them. Unless the fair gives me a permanent location for the rock crawling I will again find the need for transport of the rocks.

I would like to see at least another year or twp under out belts before we start adding more events that hinge on having large equipment there. I forsee that if this grows the fair will also prosper more from it and hence they may be willing to provide more to us.

Great stuff but I do not think we can come up with the support necessary for those types of events yet.

I'd donate my loader....and I think I could find a sled or two.

And the reason I say that, is for me I'm an old timer. (I can remember the HillClimbs at Beckwiths Farm in Franklin) I just don't get the slow, bust steel against rock thing, high horsepower and lots of noise and smoke does it for me.

But I understand where your coming from. Your the ones that have to make it happen.
schwalby
Chairmen
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 08:38:53 AM »

Just want to point out that we would need somewhere to do this as well. The pulling ring is off limits to us. The area we used for the RTI ramps was the only section we could use. The three lines of tape were there to not only to direct traffic but also to protect that far section. The fair grounds was very clear no one was to be over there.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:17:01 AM by schwalby » Logged

Bay State Jeepers - 03 TJ
Zaedock
Organizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 08:40:07 AM »

This won't work at the rally. 

'92 YJ 2.5L/SM420/NP231HD
7" lift, 38" Mickey Thompson Claws, Full Cage, Front Stinger, 8000 lb winch
jeepjunkie69
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 05:39:29 PM »

How about a bogging pit ??  How hard could it be to make a pit 3ft deep and water and stir..??   Fill it in when done..   we used to do the TUG in the MUD at the Prospect CT, fair grounds some years back...  but that was two trucks chained rear bumper to bumper.....  It was the best time growing up 4x4-ing
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: