January 16, 2018, 02:23:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Find us on Facebook and Twitter!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: obsticle course  (Read 13060 times)
rk1129

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2010, 03:00:30 PM »

went to go topless day in lancaster....had a great time on the obsticle course.
think the 2010 gajr should see if they can add some mud holes and hills?
schwalby
Chairmen
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:52:51 PM »

We are looking into expanding our current set up but space is an issue. The fairgrounds is not very large and 99% of the space they have is deadicated to other uses where large hills would not work.

Like I said though we are seeing what we can do.

Bay State Jeepers - 03 TJ
CTJeepWJ
Volunteer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »

Hey everyone, new the the GAJR forum, and sort of new to the GAJR. I was at last year's and this year's and had fun at both. I noticed one major difference in the obstacle course between the two years as did most people, but I figured I would add my $.02.

Obstacle Course(s)
For those of you that weren't at one or the other, the '09 format had three different levels of obstacles. The '10 format had one course that got progressively more challenging. The which caused a major traffic jam simply based on volume alone and once someone got stuck, forget it, deadlock.

The easiest part of it was too short and for most stockers and mildly modified rigs, this is where they should have bailed out however some of them would proceed to the harder section and get stuck almost immediately. Even rigs that appeared well equipped got stuck. I am all for a challenging course and that is not my complaint here at all. I don't even mind watching someone try to get unstuck, but after watching one rig after another mash gears back and forth trying to move, it was very tiresome. I imagine that most of the people waiting in line to try the course were fed up also.

I think the '09 format was much more entertaining and exciting for both drivers and spectators. Having multiple areas gave a new Jeepers and stockers a place to play while the big boys ripped up the third garden. The courses don't have to be easy and multiple areas keep the action going.

I understand that logistically, it is a lot of work to build one so I understand that building three is that much more work.

Seating
It would have been great if there was more seating for the obstacle course. Hopefully next year additional bleachers can be brought in from the other parts of the fairgrounds.

Spotters
I have read a lot of negative comments about the spotters, to me it looked like they were doing their job but the drivers weren't. So, from what I saw, they were good.

RTI Ramps
These would have been better off in the doodlebug area where they were for '09. One of my friends working them said that there was way too much confusion between the rock garden and the RTI's

I hope this doesn't seem like a rant, I was very pleased with the event overall. It was great to see many more vendors, people and Jeeps in the parking area. From what I have heard, it was record attendance and that is great. I am really looking forward to the 2011 GAJR.

Thanks guys for letting me babble.
-Ed

-Ed
02 TJ and 04 WJ
Black Jeep Society
schwalby
Chairmen
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:10:23 AM »

First as always thank you for your feedback, this is the information that helps us improve from year to year. We only come up with so many fresh idea each year so hearing from the spectators is the main way we know what to change and gives us a starting point on how to change things. So to answer / comment on a couple of your points.

Seating, the two bleachers we had were brought in from another area of the fairgrounds. We will see about bringing more over but that is not something that can be typically done safely without potentially damaging them. We will certainly see about getting more there.

RTI, I agree 100% that the location the RTI ramps were in for 08 and 09 was much better. However the fairgrounds will not allow us to use the pulling ring. We are looking to see where else we can place them.

Spotters, we are already discussing some options to help reduce the issues here.

Rock pile, again we are looking into a way to improve that. Space and time allowed to do the setup is the killer on that one.

Thanks again for the feedback, we do not take it as babble at all.

Bay State Jeepers - 03 TJ
CTJeepWJ
Volunteer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »

Hey Schwalby,
I know space, time, manpower and resources are major concerns. If you are looking for volunteers to help, let me know. I grew up in Somers and been Jeeping only a short time compared to many others, so I would be happy to try to help in any way possible either with a shovel or online promoting the GAJR etc.

Hopefully next year the GAJR will have over 1000 rigs!

-Ed
02 TJ and 04 WJ
Black Jeep Society
Scott Daigle
GAJR Treasurer
Organizer
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:17:16 PM »

Just to clarify Ed, An Obstacle course is what Go Topless Day has with the hills, mud, some rocks and other off camber stuff and they do it with a trail leader and gunner.   We at the GAJR had a small obstacle course last year that NE Jeep ran. We didn't do one this year, we only had the "rock garden".

Having said that, we are looking at the possibility of adding a bigger "obstacle course" like GTD but it's only a concept at this point. IF (BIG IF) we do have one, we are defiantly going to need more volunteers to lead & follow the course. 

Basic Supervision: Plan, Organize, Direct and Control!
CTJeepWJ
Volunteer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 07:28:40 AM »

Sounds good Scott. Where did you guys have GTD and where is it going to be for 2011? Maybe I will check that out next year.

-Ed
02 TJ and 04 WJ
Black Jeep Society
Scott Daigle
GAJR Treasurer
Organizer
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 07:39:04 AM »

Sounds good Scott. Where did you guys have GTD and where is it going to be for 2011? Maybe I will check that out next year.

It's held in Lancaster, MA It's on May 14th, 2011 Watch for more info here or at www.allthingsjeep.com
It's a really fun event!

CTJeepWJ
Volunteer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 08:18:41 AM »

Perfect, Thanks!

-Ed
02 TJ and 04 WJ
Black Jeep Society
mrfreakinwhite
Lead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »

Next year at GTD, no trail guides and tail gunners, for a few reasons.
We'll use spotters in key locations to reduce traffic, keep our volunteers in known locations, and to better control pace and to help people make the right decision about their rigs' capabilities.
An obstacle course does take a lot of volunteers, and size of course makes a difference.

It is certainly fun to drive through ponds that you made!!!!!!! Smiley

JonFund President
Elias 4WD Center
richlost
Organizer

Bring it.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »

I think the rockpile needs a DJ.... like the one that was there in 09
Wait a minute.... that was me.... and as luck would have it, I'm buying myself an 04 LJ tomorrow, so I'll have the perfect rig to haul my gear to the rally... if anyone remembers I had a Camry cuz my Jeep had a broken tranny, but I'll be available, that is if you want me back.

Scott Daigle
GAJR Treasurer
Organizer
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 06:24:58 PM »

Wait a minute.... that was me.... and as luck would have it, I'm buying myself an 04 LJ tomorrow, so I'll have the perfect rig to haul my gear to the rally... if anyone remembers I had a Camry cuz my Jeep had a broken tranny, but I'll be available, that is if you want me back.

We did miss you last year. You are welcome back for the rock garden.  I'll put together and print an info sheet instead of the tiny sheets you used in 09.
Make sure the LJ has an Inverter. Tongue

richlost
Organizer

Bring it.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »

We did miss you last year. You are welcome back for the rock garden.  I'll put together and print an info sheet instead of the tiny sheets you used in 09.
Make sure the LJ has an Inverter. Tongue

I still have the 1200 watt inverter  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: