January 18, 2018, 08:31:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Find us on Facebook and Twitter!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Feedback  (Read 21324 times)
Scott Daigle
GAJR Treasurer
Organizer
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »

Ok, lets have the skinny, good, bad or ugly... Just be respectful with your comments and remember, we're all volunteers.   
Any comets that are disrespectful to an individual will be deleted or edited.    Wink

Basic Supervision: Plan, Organize, Direct and Control!
Rafikie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »

Great job by all the volunteers...... DONT' EAT THE CHEESEBURGERS
drgonzo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

I think overall, the event was great.  Volunteers were great.  Good event. Looking forward to it next year.  That being said, I think having one line for the rock crawl, and RTI ramp made no sense.  My friend only wanted to ramp his Jeep and was told to wait in line.  Most of the people in line were waiting for the Rock Crawl.  Luckily a good hearted volunteer let us slide in the back way to do the ramp, and then we were done.   As for the rock crawl itself, I thought it was great.  But I think there should be a time limit or maybe have 2 rock piles.  One for factory, or slightly modified rigs and 1 for the advanced.  Some people were just on there way too long because they got stuck and maybe shouldn't have been on there.  Maybe give people 3 tries and then they are off.  Or 5-10min max.  Everything else was fantastic.  Good job everybody.
Scott Daigle
GAJR Treasurer
Organizer
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:41:31 PM »

^^^^All Constructive criticism and ideas. Keep them coming.

Pertaining to the rock garden area, we were limited in available area to work with do to the fairgrounds being stingy and not allowing us to use that other area we've used in the past. We also couldn't use that other gate do to the grass on the other side (parking area) being way to soft with all the rain they got in that storm on Friday. We had to adjust and adjustments last minute never seem to work. We also didn't want to stage waiting jeeps in-between the pile and the spectators, that was the big complaint last year.

We love these comments and we defiantly review them for next year. Thanks!

Oh, what was up with the cheeseburgers? I had a regular burger, it was OK... nothing to write home about, but it worked.

Blown7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 05:50:01 AM »

Oh, what was up with the cheeseburgers? I had a regular burger, it was OK... nothing to write home about, but it worked.

I had a Cheeseburger and a Sausage, Onion and pepper sub, both were the worst I've ever eaten at a fair, and the price was wayyy to high. Same for the drinks, 1.50 for a sample Gatorade size. I realize a profit needs to be made but a Tip Jar also??
What are these people thinking???

Softee Ice cream was good.

I overheard two vendors complaining to each other that for two days work to set up the Rally wasn't worth it.

(And this is from two of your Largest vendors.)

I asked a club about joining and they said "go online get a application" so why have their set ups?? Some booths were empty and unmanned.

Other than that, unless next year Rally has something real spectacular I don't think I'll be returning.

Watching people who have no business on the Rockpile trying to get a slightly modified Jeep over it was like watching paint dry.

You might want to try the Woodstock Fairgrounds next year as its much bigger...

And it's closer to my dealer who would have brought a half dozen vehicles. I asked about trading my SRT8 and the guy there said he couldn't do any deals at the Rally,...... so why come at all??

BTW nice meetin you Scott.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:58:43 AM by Blown7 » Logged
drgonzo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:29:35 AM »

Woodstock Farigrounds would be great.   Tons of room there.    And right in my backyard.   Smiley
Jp90Talon
Volunteer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:24:04 AM »

I had a Cheeseburger and a Sausage, Onion and pepper sub, both were the worst I've ever eaten at a fair, and the price was wayyy to high. Same for the drinks, 1.50 for a sample Gatorade size. I realize a profit needs to be made but a Tip Jar also??
What are these people thinking???
I overheard two vendors complaining to each other that for two days work to set up the Rally wasn't worth it.

Having come from a family that did a ton of special event catering I can honestley see where they were coming from. As a food vendor you really need to do a ton of buiss to even make showing up worth it. I know it is great to have a variety of foods for the crowd but IMO there were too many small vendors to make it worth it for them.  Personally  I think the best route would be to have one single vendor set up a huge tent that would have multiple lines instead of little vendors with long single lines. If you ever needed someone to be a vendor let me know .....

Watching people who have no business on the Rockpile trying to get a slightly modified Jeep over it was like watching paint dry.
Agreed!  I thought that George was going to kill some punk kids. I think next time the garden needs to be marked saying unless u have so and so you get off here and you get a time limit

You might want to try the Woodstock Fairgrounds next year as its much bigger...

And it's closer to my dealer who would have brought a half dozen vehicles. I asked about trading my SRT8 and the guy there said he couldn't do any deals at the Rally,...... so why come at all??

BTW nice meetin you Scott.

schwalby
Chairmen
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 02:55:33 PM »

There were some people that went onto the rocks that told the spotters they had a locker or two but once they were stuck somewhere and were told to turn the locker on the driver said that the lockers were not "working" or "broken".

Bay State Jeepers - 03 TJ
OldYellowXJ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »

I would like to see the format of the rock garden returned to that of last year, with three different courses. This year went from dirt road, to dirt road with rocks, to almost impossible for most Jeeps. Not only did the lines move far faster last year, you were still able to have jeeps moving when one was stuck.

I understand that staging the waiting Jeeps between the crowd and the rocks was an issue, but have them come around the backside like they did this year.

Honestly I think my Jeep would have made it over those two large slabs of rock marking the transition from "medium" to "extreme" had I just positioned myself a little to the right.

I didn't lie to the spotter though, I was on 34's with limited slip in the rear.

I'm sorry to all of you who were forced to watch someone push the limits of their rig. That is the kind of thing that makes a show like the Great American Jeep Rally worth attending though.

For reference here is the Jeep I was driving:

Scott Daigle
GAJR Treasurer
Organizer
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »

You all need to air down!  Tongue

I'm not going to make excuses for anything, I think the event was great. I may be a little biased though.  Wink

We had to build this course in two days (mostly just Saturday) do to all the rain they got in the last week. Short on time, dealing with the fairgrounds and their dislike of our rocks we did what we could and hoped for the best. Remember this is not an event with some wicked big budget, we're not subsidized or a part of Chrysler. We're all volunteers, we can only do so much.

Having said that, with all of you spending your hard earned money at the gate and with our raffles we are building our budget every year and hope to improve these things we're talking about. This year we lacked an excavator and didn't have enough money to rent one. Maybe next year we will be able to and build the garden the way you all like with multiple lines.

Your suggestions do not go unheard!

Thanks!

OldYellowXJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »

I think airing down in my case would have made it worse, drivers side was resting on the slider  as it was! :lol:

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:06:59 PM by Scott Daigle » Logged
Scott Daigle
GAJR Treasurer
Organizer
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »

*whoops, I did it again. edited your post by accident. fixed.

This is a topic for a tech thread but, In all my years of wheeling I have never seen a case where airing down for rocks doesn't help big time. Sliders are made for sliding.  Wink

Blown7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 06:44:57 AM »

If next year you come over to Woodstock or even Brooklyn Fairground (Brooklyn's set up for truck pulling)
these guys will feed you good

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Woodstock-CT/Butts-Western-Beef-Bar-B-Que/109057395796693
schwalby
Chairmen
Rally NUT!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »

Not trying to stop the input on the rock course but any additional feed back on the other areas? Food, eating areas, raffle area, RC area, Helicopter, DJ, parking, front gate, goodie bags, vendors, vendor layout, bathrooms, bouncy house. Any ideas for things we can add?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:22:05 AM by schwalby » Logged

Bay State Jeepers - 03 TJ
Carl Mc
Volunteer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 01:57:22 PM »

I'll agree with OldYellowXJ, ".....rock garden returned to that of last year, with three different courses. This year went from dirt road, to dirt road with rocks, to almost impossible for most Jeeps......" Watching (virtually) everyone get stuck, I didn't even try. I'm on 33's, locked / LS but there was no way I felt comfortable getting in line for that. Not complaining, just giving feedback that you asked for

The helicopter rides were AWESOME!! Definitely want them back next year

Being on the other side of the raffle table, I had a chance to get some feedback from people. Based on that feedback, I think there a couple options that should be considered for the kids toys drawings. One option, have distinct boxes and draws for the kids toys. This would have avoided some negative experiences. As it was, there was one box for all kids raffle tickets and people had to accept what was assigned, once a number was drawn. With some toys obviously geared for a boy or girl, it was inevitable that some people wouldn't be happy. Another option would be a first number drawn / first choice, with more kids drawings throughout the day. Maybe every 30 minutes

And I'd look at having more items drawn throughout the day, for the "bigger kids" toys. This could help alleviate the 3 PM crush

HUGE THANKS to the crew that worked so hard to put this all together!

I thought overall this years GAJR was awesome and look forward to next year. And kudos to you, asking for feedback. That's the only way to improve it
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: