June 20, 2018, 02:35:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Find us on Facebook and Twitter!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raffle Thoughts.  (Read 9493 times)
Jeeps_Smile

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:11:02 AM »

Hey all, I worked the rally raffle this year and I've got some thoughts on it going forward. Since those of us that worked it this year really hadn't had worked raffles before I think it was a great learning experience. I as I think others that worked the raffle believe that there are some improvements that could be made. Now I'm uncertain as to whether the others that were working the raffle would want to do it again next year but I know I would like to try it again. So I'll just outline some random thoughts and concerns that I had with this year.

1. Ticket colors.. I think we would have been better had we had well defined color variation. The general were a light blue, 50/50 a dark blue. At the end there were people just putting any blue ticket they had into the 50/50 box. Kids tickets were white and pink, winch/tire tickets were white with pink highlighter marks on them.. People were pretty confused.

2. Signage/Explainations... I think a lot of questions would have been answered if we had some sort of ticket legends for example lets say green is 50/50, blue is general, red is winch/tire/big $$ items, yellow is kids. And a sign with raffle times. I never got the show guide that was being handed out at the gate so I am not certain what was outlined on it but if raffle times were, people weren't looking at it. It would also do well for us to put the time of the raffling of items on the ticket boxes. There were certain times we looked ill prepared to the attendees by not being sure of whether items had been raffled or not.

3. Raffle Team Pre-Event Meeting... I think that it might be a good idea for whomever will be handling the raffle to have a pre-rally meeting. So we can all be on the same page, all have hand-outs of items will be raffled, items that are yet to be received and decide on what will be raffled when. There was a bit of confusion knowing what was being raffled when and if items were already gone or not. We weren't certain when the 50/50 should have started being sold, I think we could have gotten a greater amount on that had everything clearly defined.

For now that is all I can think of. What did everyone else think of the raffle? Did you enjoy it? Are there things you think could be improved? I think we did good but I know we can do even better!  Smiley
vikinghd
Chairmen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »

Experience is golden. The suggestions are great and especially since you did the Rally with us this year I for one would be glad to have you there again. Each and all of the Rally functions should grow and improve for next year providing we can put together another staff like we had this year plus the returning veterans. It also seems like more people are stepping up to help. I think the suggestion about the pre-event committee meeting is especially important and should be applied to each committee at the Rally either at the end of setup or pre-opening of the Rally.

kat
Organizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »

Were the 50/50 tickets and the general tickets the same price?  If so then there would be no need for different color tickets. 

I know that it will take up a lot more space but I think we should have more kid prizes and each should have its own pull box. 

Maybe we need to find tickets that fit our needs better. Like neon colors for the big prizes and simple ones for the kids.

If you tape a ticket to each box showing which goes where it will be a lot easier.  Just match up ticket color.
JeepMM2
Volunteer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 05:54:49 PM »

I agree with the idea of a pre-event meeting. It was quite confusing being told that the ticket with the stripe on it was for the Children's Raffle, then hearing that those tickets were for either the winch or tires.

gorilla_skater
Organizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 09:23:04 AM »

Another thing is to hand out the actual prizes when people win. In many cases, the winners were directed to the raffle area to pick up their prize. I'm thinking it was a logistics thing to bring everything over to the stage? From a crowd participation standpoint, it adds a visual perspective to the raffle experience.

Jeeps_Smile

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 01:20:06 PM »

Kat,
The 50/50 were the same price @ $1/ea, without the bulk discount (like the whole $10/13, $20/25) however I wasn't sure if this would work because I didn't know if the 50/50 meant that we were giving a prize of half of all the raffle money or just the money raised strictly on 50/50 tickets. Thus the pre-event meeting would be good to clear these issues.. lol

Were the 50/50 tickets and the general tickets the same price?  If so then there would be no need for different color tickets. 
I know that it will take up a lot more space but I think we should have more kid prizes and each should have its own pull box. 
Maybe we need to find tickets that fit our needs better. Like neon colors for the big prizes and simple ones for the kids.
If you tape a ticket to each box showing which goes where it will be a lot easier.  Just match up ticket color.

Rey,
That was one thing I was curious about as well, it was a bit of a logistical issue to try to bring everything but I believe that if we had some sort of a cart or means of transporting the items rather than carrying everything by hand we'd be able to bring the items up. It definitely adds to the anticipation being able to see the prize right in front of you as numbers are called.

Another thing is to hand out the actual prizes when people win. In many cases, the winners were directed to the raffle area to pick up their prize. I'm thinking it was a logistics thing to bring everything over to the stage? From a crowd participation standpoint, it adds a visual perspective to the raffle experience.
angel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 09:49:41 PM »

I would recommend having a few "legends" posted as you said stating what color ticket goes with which raffle and make sure it is also in the Program. You can also work it into the announcements. I wouldn't go so far as to tape the tickets on the boxes because that might get confusing.
Increase the number of times raffles are called. For example, you could draw numbers every hour after 12 and post up the numbers on a giant post-it or something to be kept in the raffle area. Announce that people can check it to see if their numbers have been drawn. You'll end up with alot less unclaimed prizes that way and you'll definitely eliminate the end of the day redraws. You could even limit the amount of time someone has to claim their items and if they do not claim it in like an hour or hour and a half you can redraw then instead of waiting.

Raffles are always one of the biggest obstacles of any event. There is no way to totally eliminate some of the downfalls but you can come close.

Angel
kat
Organizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »

Just tape ONE ticket to the top of the box not all of the tickets  Roll Eyes
angel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »

I knew what you meant.  Smiley

Angel
Pages: [1]   Go Up